Definitions of network layer on the Web:Layer 3 of the OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) model; it defines protocols governing data routing.
- Level Three in the OSI stack responsible for the necessary routing and relaying through one or more networks in multiple link or wide area environments.
- Layer three In the OSI model, the layer that is responsible for routing data across the network.
- layer three in the OSI reference model. The network layer performs network routing and forwarding, flow control, segmentation/desegmentation, and error control functions, cobbling various data links together so as to enable data to be delivered between any two nodes on the interconnected data links. IP is an example of a network layer protocol. French: couche réseau.
- The services in the OSI protocol stack (layer 3 of 7) that provide internetworking for the communications session.
- Third layer of the OSI model; Network-layer protocols send information over several hops to its destination and manage the differences between network media so that higher-layer protocols need not account for the distinctions.
- That part of the OSI system that manages the data transfer across the network which remaining independent of the network topologies and media.
- this is layer 3 of the ISO, OSI 7 layer model, and the 5 layer TCP/IP reference model. It is used for routing, and with the TCP/IP suite is IP .
- The third of seven layers of the ISO/OSI model for computer-to-computer communications, the network layer defines protocols for data routing to ensure that the information arrives at the correct destination node.
- The part of the Internet protocols concerned with traansferring data between systems which are not connected to each other.
- The layer in the OSI model that is responsible for ensuring that data passed to it from the transport layer is routed and delivered through the network.
- transmission of chunks of data (packets) between two end-systems on possibly different networks. The Network layer uses the Data Link layer to send data between two end-systems on the same network, some end-systems are connected to multiple networks and can forward chunks of data.
- The layer of the OSI model that manages connects for the upper layers of the model.
- The network layer is level three of the seven level OSI model. It responds to service requests from the transport layer and issues service requests to the data link layer.